I ventured out into the wilds of the workshop to tackle some clean-up on those Zebrawood boxes. Two of the four boxes had some glue squeeze-out at the inside corners that cured hard before I could remove it.
After all the chisel work I used some 180 grit sandpaper to clean up any little nicks in the corners the best that I could. I used a scrap piece of Wenge (Weng-ee) left over from another project. It was square and small enough to work into the corners quite well.
At the end of the day, the real lesson here is to be mindful in preparing the pieces correctly before assembly, and to remove any glue early while it's soft. I don't think the corners will ever be as crisp and clean as I'd like...I guess that's the curse for all woodworkers...we know where every little flaw is.
The next big steps will be cutting some small grooves into the corners to accept some Walnut splines and crafting the lids. Two of the boxes will receive lids made from a small slab of Padauk (Pa-duke) that I have set aside. The contrast should be pretty striking with the Zebrawood.
I haven't decided on the lid stock for the remaining two boxes yet, however, I'm considering using Walnut to match the splines and give a more subtle look. After all construction is done I'll be applying a hand rubbed clear finish. The Zebrawood looks nice now, but when the finish is applied the grain and color contrast will really pop.
Stay tuned for the next episode of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, where Pete will wrestle with Leopardwood and Tiger Maple.