This small bump-out is housing the supply line and the main drain from the kitchen just above the shop, so I needed to keep this space free of anything big attached to the wall. I keep my full sheet sandpaper in the file cabinet along with tool manuals and any project clippings and pictures I want to save for future inspiration. If needed I can just move the cabinet and little shelf aside and remove the wall panel to access the plumbing.
During (what is now becoming a weekend ritual) my latest trip to Home Depot I picked up a load of 2X4s for the bench I’ll build along the back wall and some ¾ inch OSB for the bench top on the recycled base cabinets.
I doubled up the thickness to make a really flat and beefy top. I’ll come back and trim out the edges with some Poplar as well. I wanted something that could take a lot of abuse and then be replaced pretty inexpensively and also like the idea of being able to anchor something down to the bench top with screws if needed. I had originally thought of laminating the two sheets together with glue, but opted to just screw them together. When it’s time for a new top I’ll be able to unscrew and remove the top sheet without having to completely disassemble the top. When I trim the edges out, I’ll be sure to only attach the edging to the bottom sheet that’s fastened to the base cabinets.
Over the past few years I’ve amassed quite a collection of smaller scrap pieces that I’ve held onto for smaller projects. I used to stack them in piles on shelves or tuck them away in boxes where I would forget about them. I’ve decided to utilize several of the smaller top drawers in these cabinets to store my collection of smaller stock.
We’ll see how long this lasts as I get to putting everything else away. If I find that I need more space for tools or accessories it may be back to the piles or boxes for these shorties.
With the unpacking of another half dozen boxes…yes folks, you are witnessing actual cleared floor space in the shop. No more dodging around an obstacle course of unpacked lumber and tools…no more slalom maneuvers all the way around the shop just to get to the other side. Oh man…there goes my exercise program!
Here’s a look at the left side wall of the shop. I moved the other rack down to this side of the shop and started stickering and stacking some of the smaller slabs of lumber.
I hung the “two inches too long” shelf a little further down the wall and placed the drill press in its final resting spot. I’ll stow all the drill press paraphernalia there on the shelf, and either the router table or one of the mobile tools will find a home there along the wall once those few boxes are unpacked and put away.
While I’d like everyone to believe that I’ve completely cleaned up my act, there is still a fair bit of work to be done…so here’s the dirty laundry. Let’s just call these the “staging areas.”
I’ve got a few more sections of wall to get covered and painted and another half dozen boxes to unpack and organize. Another couple weekends like this last one and there might be some actual woodworking on the horizon.