Pages

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Woodworkingless Vacation

The family is winding down a wonderful week away from it all…including woodworking.  We wrangled another family into joining us up in the mountains of Granby, CO and have had a fantastic time away from work, TV (except for a couple Stanley Cup games) and hustle and bustle of the big city.

There were several times throughout the week when I thought about the shop and the projects that I have in the works, and there were other times when I would see something that would inspire me and make me want to tinker with a new idea in the shop.  Those inklings were pushed aside quickly though.  As much as my mind tends to wander off toward woodworking there was no competition to the amazing things I witnessed on this trip.

The Mighty Quinn discovered his hiking legs and pushed through several long adventures like a champ, discovering rocks, bugs, chipmunks and the oh so natural feel of a stick in your hand while blazing new trails.  He growled like a bear or howled like a Lobo at any other travelers we encountered.  He’s quite formidable!
 
Danger Boy lived up to his name and then some.  The boy has very little fear and will dive into almost anything!  I had a hard time keeping up with him at times, and found myself drawn back into my own memories of tromping through the woods of Maryland and Virginia, or exploring the deserts and canyons of Nevada and New Mexico.  I had forgotten so many of my own adventures until this trip, and this daredevil brought them back to light.

And just when I thought I couldn’t be any more blessed…I look over to see this stunning beauty sharing this whole experience, living in these wonderful moments with me.  My boys would not be who they are without the grace and love of this amazing woman…shoot, I wouldn’t be who I am without the grace and love of this amazing woman!  We would be three lost knuckleheads for sure!

As you look out over the summer on the horizon, dreaming of time off to get into your workshop (or studio, or craft room, or dark room…) make sure there is time to appreciate and celebrate those few people who inhabit the most special places in your heart.  Sure they’re proud of your hand-cut dovetails, your amazing painting or that hand woven masterpiece, but what they really crave is time and love.  Get out of the shop from time to time and be generous with the time and love…oh, and look at a few mountains along the way too.


Pete
 

No comments: