I was able to score quite a haul for about a third of the sales prices on Amazon. I may have even out-shopped my lovely, expert bargain hunting bride this time around! I bet she still won’t let me go grocery shopping by myself though.
The deal was so great that I even picked up some mini-router bits for the new Dremel Trio. With the rest of the family tucked in and sleeping soundly, I was able to sneak in a little project. I picked out a small, scrap piece of Walnut and fired up the drill press.
These mini-bits designed for the Trio have a 3/16 inch shank, so they wouldn’t fit very nicely into any of the other router bit blocks and trays I have. Just a few quick minutes at the drill press and we’re in business! Just look at how cute these little guys are.
I was glad to see they had the #3 on sale. The #4 might be a bit big for him yet…of course he is Batman…or is it a Ninja this week? Either way, he’s going to flip when they arrive and I surprise him. I just have to keep myself from spilling the beans in the meantime.
While it’s not exactly an upgrade, per say, I did install a 1/2 inch, 4 TPI blade on the band saw a couple nights ago.
I need to get those Padauk boards resawn and surfaced so that I can keep the cabinet project moving. After installing the new blade I made a few test cuts in some scrap Poplar.
At first I tried using the stock fence and didn’t get as vertical a cut as I would have liked. I rarely use this fence and it’s been knocked around a few times over the years so it didn’t help at all with eliminating the drift. I made a second cut freehand, following a scribed line, and got great results. Looks like I’ll be cutting that Padauk sans fence this weekend…maybe after a couple more warm-up cuts.
I’ll also need to make time to (finally!) upgrade the band saw with the set of Carter guides and stabilizer that I bought at the woodworking show almost two years ago, back in Minnesota.